Position: Executive Director of Board Services and Government Affairs
Executive Director of Board Services and Government Affairs
Contact Brenda Yager:
Phone: (505) 880-3731
Board Services at APS
Brenda Yager oversees services for the Board of Education and government affairs at Albuquerque Public Schools.
The Board Services Office supports the business of the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education. Among many ways this is done, the Board Services Office facilitates meetings of the Board of Education and functions as liaison between members of the Board of Education and Albuquerque Public Schools administration.
Ms. Yager has served as director of Board Services since 2006, where she has managed a staff supporting seven board members. She has also served in several key positions including professional searches for the APS superintendent and general manager of KNME Television.
Ms. Yager’s career spans 30 years and covers a variety of experience ranging from public affairs, marketing and media to extensive public service, community outreach and involvement with some of the nation’s well-recognized and respected organizations.
Her professional experience includes:
- Public and Government Affairs with AAA New Mexico, a state affiliate of the nation’s largest member service organization. Ms. Yager developed educational programs and safety campaigns, and created and implemented ongoing community outreach that informed members, law makers and the general public that spanned Southern California, New Mexico and Texas.
- Program Service coordinator and program manager for KGGM TV-13. Ms. Yager managed all aspects of public affairs including the development of ongoing public service campaigns integrating the CBS affiliate with the community and addressing local issues, community outreach programs, and producing and hosting public affairs programming.
- Marketing and Communication director for United Way of Greater Albuquerque. Ms. Yager worked extensively with area media and corporate communicators, devised strategic communication plans and market research, and managed publications and audio-visual and promotional materials.
- Education and Business Development Director for the Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce. In this capacity, Ms. Yager developed education, business development, military affairs and international trade programs, preparing position papers and collateral materials, special events and seminars.
Most currently, Ms. Yager serves on the Board of Directors for KNME Television and has served on numerous committees and task forces including APS Superintendent Search Community Involvement Committee. Additionally, Ms. Yager has served as past board member and officer of Safer New Mexico Now; is a Leadership Albuquerque graduate; was a governor-appointed Traffic Safety Bureau Advisory Committee member; and is a member of the New Mexico Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America.
Throughout her career, Ms. Yager has earned local, regional and national recognition for her work and involvement. Included are:
- National and state recognition for excellence for legislative campaigns
- Presidential Citation for her public affairs work
- By special invitation, she served on a 30-member national task force related to her work with United Way.
- New Mexico Advertising Federation awarded her first place for best promotional work