You are here: Home About Us Board of Education Meeting Archives October 7, 2009

October 7, 2009

Approval of $18,825,000 General Obligation Refunding Bonds, Presentation on Middle School Athletics, Memorandum of Agreement Between the APS Board of Education and the APS Foundation, and more...

Board meetings are recorded and archived for your convenience.

View the video at http://model.inventivetec.com/tight_url.cfm/URLID/8025

October 7, 2009 Board meeting

Agenda 

Regular Meeting
Wednesday, October 7, 2009 
5:00 PM
Albuquerque Public Schools John Milne Community Board Room

I.   Call to Order
A.   Pledge of Allegiance / Moment of Silence
B.   Roll Call
C.   Adoption of the October 7, 2009, Agenda (Discussion/Action)

II.   Recognition of Students, Staff and Community
A.   Celebrating Student and Staff Success
I.   APS Nursing Program: All 25 graduates of the Career Enrichment Center nursing program passed the National Council of Licensure Exam for Practical Nurses on the first try.
a.   Nursing faculty: Jocelyn Amberg, Kay Whitney, Pat Kious, Heather Lindell, Delores Pederson, Christine Cartwright, Bekki Weatherford, Connie Baker, Carolyn Johnson and Srishti Chandra
b.   Nursing Students: Cibola HS - April Bonnell, Casandrea Ellison, Sarah Farmer, Ellen Neel, Alaina Welch; Del Norte HS - Jordan Leatherman; La Cueva HS - Lauren Christiansen, Leah Jackson, Amber Mechenbier, Keely Price, Hannah Talley; Manzano HS - Nisa Goss, Desiree Gutierrez, Susie Marrujo; Rio Grande HS - Perla Baray; Sandia HS - Kaveri Bisht, Jacques Chouinard, Linda Duran, Abigail Winowich; Valley HS - Annalisa Gabaldon, Stephanie Glaser; West Mesa HS - Chasity Carrion, Megan Korovlev; Early College Academy - Katie Reimann; and Home school - Amberle Durano.
B.   Celebrating Staff Success
I.   Graphics Production and District Services Staff for supporting Albuquerque Public Schools with professional publications and services: Karin Tarter, K.C. Keyes, Lisa Lawrence, Jeremy Jensen, Sandra Candelaria, Agnes Chavez, Josh Kowalchek, Jorge Rodriguez, Mike Hazen, Marvin Gallegos, Stephen Valencia, Ernie Cedillos, Mano Romero, Richard Sedillo, Julie Lyon, Stefan Carlisle, Teofilo Chavez, Charles Lesperance, Raul Montoya, Jay Muñoz, Rhonda Garcia Flores, Verona Jones, Marie Torrez, Karla Montaño, T. Kathleen Nelson, Martha Sedillo, and Theresa Jaramillo.

III.   Public Forum

IV.   Matters of Information
A.   Superintendent's Report
B.   Board Member Comments
C.   President's Report

V.   Special Issues
A.   Presentation on Middle School Athletics (Discussion/Action)
  Brad Winter, Chief Operations Officer; Kenny Barreras, Athletics Director; and Julie Sanchez, Coordinator of Athletics
B.   Consideration of Approval of $18,825,000 General Obligation Refunding Bonds Series 2009 D (Discussion/Action)
  Dupuy Bateman, Chief Financial Officer; Paul Cassidy, RBC Dain Rauscher, Inc. Managing Director; and Art Melendres, Modrall, Sperling, Roehl, Harris & Sisk, PA, Bond Counsel
C.   Consideration of Approval of the Memorandum of Agreement Between the APS Board of Education and the APS Foundation (Discussion/Action)
  Phill Casaus, APS Foundation Executive Director
D.   Consideration of Approval of a Policy Statement for the 2009 Legislative Special Session (Discussion/Action)
  Joseph Escobedo, Government Affairs

VI.   Approval of Consent Calendar Items (Discussion / Action)
A.   Consideration for Approval of Capital Outlay/Property/Technology Matters (Discussion/Action)
I.   Approval for Low Bid of the Rio Grande High School, new ISP/Health Building Addition
B.   Consideration for Approval of District Relations Matters (Discussion/Action)
I.   Approval of the Lights on Afterschool Resolution
II.   Approval of the Correspondence to Senator Bingaman regarding the Congressional Education Legislation
C.   Consideration for Approval of Finance Matters (Discussion/Action)
I.   Approval of Budget Adjustment for Grant Management
II.   Approval of Inter-Function Transfers
III.   Approval of Budget Adjustment Request for Transportation Rental Fee
IV.   Approval of Supplement to School Bus Fleet Service Contract
V.   Approval of Establishing Budget for Native American Community Academy Maintenance and Operations Expenses
VI.   Approval of Establishing Budget for Robert F. Kennedy Charter School Maintenance and Operations Expenses
VII.   Approval of Benefit Plan Year Change from December 1 to January 1
VIII.   Approval of Administrator's Recommendation to Defer Consideration of SB39 Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Insurance Coverage
D.   Consideration for Approval of Policy Matters (Discussion/Action)
I.   Approval of APS/Bernalillo Public Schools Temporary Transportation Boundary Agreement - Annual Review
   Boundary Agreement APS & Bernalillo PS

VII.   Committees
A.   ABC Community Schools Partnership Committee
I.   The next meeting of the ABC Community Schools Partnership will be held at 8 a.m. on Thursday, October 8, 2009, at the United Way of Central New Mexico offices located at 2340 Alamo Ave SE # 2 in Albuquerque.
II.   Status of Matters Under Consideration
B.   Audit Committee
I.   The next meeting of the Audit Committee will be held on Wednesday, November 11, 2009, at 5 p.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.
C.   Capital Outlay Committee
I.   The next Meeting of the Capital Outlay / Property / Technology Committee will be held on Tuesday, October 20, 2009, at 5:00 p.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.
D.   Community Capital Advisory Commission
I.   The next meeting of the Community Capital Advisory Commission will be held November 10, 2009. The time and location will be forthcoming.
E.   District Relations Committee
I.   The next meeting of the District Relations Committee will be held on Monday, October 19, 2009, at 11:30 a.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.
F.   Finance Committee
I.   The next meeting of the Finance Committee will be held on Monday, October 12, 2009, at 5:00 PM, in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.
G.   Policy Committee
I.   The next meeting of the Policy Committee will be held on Tuesday, October 13, 2009, at 7:30 a.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.
H.   Board of Education Work Study
I.   The Charter Capital Work Study will be held on Wednesday, September 30, 2009, at 5 p.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community room.

VIII.   Announcement of Upcoming Board Meetings:
A.   The next Special Board meeting will be held on Friday, November 13, 2009, in the DeLayo Martin Community Room at 7:30 a.m.
B.   The next Regular Board Meeting will be Wednesday, October 21, 2009, at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board Room.

IX.   Adjournment

For agenda attachments and additional details, see Boardbook for October 7, 2009.

Document Actions
News
15 APS Seniors Named National Merit Semi-Finalists
Semi-Finalists will compete for $33 million in college scholarships
Let's get more seniors to apply for college financial aid
APS high schools are hosting workshops beginning in October to help students and their families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.
Student of the Week Trinity Domonkos
A fifth grader at Dennis Chavez ES
Balloons to launch from APS playgrounds Friday
Albuquerque Aloft is the unofficial kick off to the Balloon Fiesta.
Revised 2017-18 calendar goes to board for approval
The first draft of the calendar was altered slightly after the public called for a later start date.