School Board Member Elections
Information about school board elections.
On This Page
Questions and More Information
Anyone with questions on voter registration issues is encouraged to visit the Bernalillo County Clerk’s web site for more information and resources.
New Mexico School Boards Association
Candidates are encouraged to visit the New Mexico School Boards Association for more information.
Rules for Campaigning
APS has specific rules about campaigning on or near school property. Go to for details.
For questions or more information, please email APS Board and Constituent Services at email@example.com or call (505) 880-3729.
Albuquerque Public Schools will have an election on February 7, 2017, to elect members of the Board of Education in school board districts 3, 5, 6 and 7. Currently, those districts are represented by:
- School Board District 3 - Lorenzo Garcia
- School Board District 5 - Steven Michael Quezada
- School Board District 6 - Dr. Donald Duran
- School Board District 7 - Dr. David Peercy
For information about:
For information about:
- School District Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements
Contact the New Mexico Secretary of State at:
New Mexico Office of the Secretary of State
New Mexico Capitol Annex North
325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Phone: (505) 827-3600
Toll Free: 1-800-477-3632
New Mexico Secretary of State Website
The next election for APS school board members will be in 2017 for districts 3, 5, 6 and 7. Anyone filing as a candidate for a school board member position must meet the following criteria:
- Be a registered voter
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Not be a convicted felon
- Physically reside in the school board district for which the individual is a candidate
- Physically reside in the school board district to be represented at the time the APS Board of Education votes on the proclamation acknowledging the upcoming election. This proclamation must be approved by the APS Board of Education by November 22 preceding the election. School board candidates must reside in the school board district for which they are running before the proclamation is approved. Check with APS Board of Education Services at (505) 880-3729 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the exact date when the proclamation will be scheduled on an APS Board of Education agenda.
- Note: An employee with Albuquerque Public Schools who has filed as a candidate for a school board member position and is elected to that position must resign as an employee to serve on the Board of Education. APS Board of Education Policy GB12 and New Mexico State Statute 22-5-5.
In addition to the legal qualifications for school board member candidates, elected members of the APS Board of Education must commit to:
- Completion of APS Questionnaire
- Two regular board meetings per month
- Special board meetings when called (usually two per month)
- Additional meetings such as executive meetings, briefings and others as needed
- Regularly scheduled board committee meetings per month such as Policy and Instruction; Finance; Audit; District Equity and Engagement; Capital Outlay, and Property and Technology. Contact the APS Board of Education office at 880-3729 or email@example.com to find out the exact schedules of meetings.
- Professional training
- Other considerations as circumstances warrant
- Per diem for regular, special and committee meetings ($85 per meeting; possible mileage if meetings are held 35 miles from APS Headquarters)
- No other APS compensation
- District 1 Map and Description
- District 2 Map and Description
- District 3 Map and Description
- District 4 Map and Description
- District 5 Map and Description
- District 6 Map and Description
- District 7 Map and Description
- New Mexico School Board Candidate Guide from the New Mexico School Boards Association
- Orientation Manual for New School Board Members from the New Mexico School Boards Association