School Board Member Election
Board Candidate Forums
Sponsored by APS
January 11 Forum Video
January 12 Forum Video
To discuss issues facing education in Albuquerque
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Hosted by the Four Hills Village Homeowners Association
For District 6 candidates
At the Canyon Club, 6:30 p.m.
On This Page
Questions and More Information
Anyone with questions on voter registration issues is encouraged to visit the Bernalillo County Clerk’s web site for more information and resources.
New Mexico School Boards Association
Candidates are encouraged to visit the New Mexico School Boards Association for more information.
Rules for Campaigning
APS has specific rules about campaigning on or near school property. Go to for details.
For questions or more information, please email APS Board and Constituent Services at email@example.com or call (505) 880-3729
Albuquerque Public Schools will have an election on February 7, 2017, to elect members of the Board of Education in school board districts 3, 5, 6 and 7.
Currently, those districts are represented by:
For information about:
For information about:
- School District Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements
Contact the New Mexico Secretary of State at:
New Mexico Office of the Secretary of State
New Mexico Capitol Annex North
325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Phone: (505) 827-3600
Toll Free: 1-800-477-3632
New Mexico Secretary of State Website
Elections Bureau & Ethics Division: (505) 827-3600
Bureau of Elections Resources
The next election for APS school board members will be in 2017 for districts 3, 5, 6 and 7. Anyone filing as a candidate for a school board member position must meet the following criteria:
- Be a registered voter
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Not be a convicted felon
- Physically reside in the school board district for which the individual is a candidate
- Physically reside in the school board district to be represented at the time the APS Board of Education votes on the proclamation acknowledging the upcoming election. This proclamation must be approved by the APS Board of Education by November 22 preceding the election. School board candidates must reside in the school board district for which they are running before the proclamation is approved. Check with APS Board of Education Services at (505) 880-3729 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the exact date when the proclamation will be scheduled on an APS Board of Education agenda.
- Note: An employee with Albuquerque Public Schools who has filed as a candidate for a school board member position and is elected to that position must resign as an employee to serve on the Board of Education. APS Board of Education Policy GB12 and New Mexico State Statute 22-5-5.
In addition to the legal qualifications for school board member candidates, elected members of the APS Board of Education must commit to:
- Completion of APS Questionnaire
- Two regular board meetings per month
- Special board meetings when called (usually two per month)
- Additional meetings such as executive meetings, briefings and others as needed
- Regularly scheduled board committee meetings per month such as Policy and Instruction; Finance; Audit; District Equity and Engagement; Capital Outlay, and Property and Technology. Contact the APS Board of Education office at 880-3729 or email@example.com to find out the exact schedules of meetings.
- Professional training
- Other considerations as circumstances warrant
- Per diem for regular, special and committee meetings ($85 per meeting; possible mileage if meetings are held 35 miles from APS Headquarters)
- No other APS compensation
Candidates for District 3 representing the North Valley and downtown are:
Candidates for District 5 representing the West Mesa are:
Candidates for District 6 representing the Northeast Heights and East Mountains are:
Candidates for District 7 representing the far Northeast Heights are:
- Dec 20 – Date for filing declaration of candidacy for membership on the Board with the Bernalillo County Clerk between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Jan 3 (by 5 p.m.) – Deadline for withdrawal of candidacy
- Jan 3 (by 5 p.m.) – Deadline for filing declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate
- January 4 – APS Candidate Orientation
- January 11 – APS Candidate Forum Districts 5 & 3
- January 12 – APS Candidate Forum Districts 7 & 6
- Jan 13 – Feb 3 – in person absentee voting in the County Clerk’s Office Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or to a polling location by 7 p.m. on Feb 7
- Jan 18 – Feb 4 – early voting is open from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Tuesday – Friday and 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays
- Feb 7 – Election Day voting is open from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Feb 13 – Election results are published by the County Clerk