Note: This news item is more than a year old. Browse for more current news.
APS Board, Staff Attending Great City Schools Conference
Annual event will come to Albuquerque in 2013.
Members of the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education and top administrators are presenting at the fall conference of the Council of the Great City Schools in Indianapolis this week.
“One of the major focuses of this year’s conference is implementation of the Common Core State Standards. APS has been a leader among urban school districts on this initiative,” said APS Supt. Winston Brooks.
“This meeting also presents a chance for members of the APS Board to meet with board members and administrators from the 67 largest school districts in the country,” he added. “We get the opportunity to see what is effective in other large school districts and what opportunities there might be for positive change in Albuquerque.”
The district also will be marketing Albuquerque, which will serve as the site for next year’s annual fall conference. Some 1,200 to 1,500 administrators and board members from around the country are expected to attend the conference in October 2013 in Albuquerque.
“The five-day conference is expected to have an economic impact of around $1 million on the Albuquerque area as those attending stay in local hotels, eat in local restaurants and enjoy area attractions,” Brooks said. “This is the kick-off for the year-long countdown to the 2013 Council of the Great City Schools Conference in Albuquerque.”
Among those presenting at the conference and their topics are:
- “The Role of Assessment & Differentiated Instruction in Common Core Implementation,” Rose-Ann McKernan, executive director of instructional accountability for APS;
- “How to Effectively Market Your Urban Public School District,” Brooks and Monica Armenta, executive director of communications for APS;
- “What the Key Performance Indicators can Do for Our Great City Schools,” Board member David Peercy and Brad Winter, chief operations officer;
- “Stretching the School House Dollar in Tough Economic Times,” Board member Kathy Korte, Winston Brooks and Brad Winter; and
- “Urban School Construction,” Winter and Don Moya, chief financial officer.
In addition, the superintendent will be introducing one of the conference’s keynote speakers Marc Morial, chief executive officer of the National Urban League. APS Board of Education members and the superintendent also will help facilitate a number of the sessions.
Brooks is the immediate-past chairman of the Council.