Note: This board meeting occurred in the past. Browse for upcoming board meetings.
Special Board of Education Meeting - Nov 5, 2013
|Meeting Date & Time:||Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 5:00 PM|
|Where:||DeLayo Martin Community Room Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE|
|Meeting Posted On:||05/24/2013, 6:49 PM|
|Agenda Posted On:||11/02/2013, 4:33 PM|
|Add event to your calendar:||
Special Board of Education Meeting
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
DeLayo Martin Community Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Call to Order
Board Member Discussion about Board Organization, Including Board and Committee Meetings (Discussion)
Minutes of Special Board of Education Meeting
Albuquerque Public Schools
A Special Board of Education meeting of Albuquerque Public Schools was held Tuesday, November 5, 2013, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the DeLayo Martin Community room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE.
I. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 5:09 p.m.
- A. Roll Call
Present: Dr. Analee Maestas, Lorenzo Garcia, Martin Esquivel, Steven Michael Quezada, Dr. Don Duran, and Dr. Peercy
Absent: Kathy Korte
II. Board Member Discussion about Board Organization, Including Board and Committee Meetings (Discussion)
Martin Esquivel reminded board members the history of deciding on how many meetings and what kinds of meetings the APS Board of Education has had in the past and holds currently.
Other issues discussed included:
- Review of approval process board meeting agendas and committee agendas
- Importance of conducting board business during the meeting
- Board member comments time limits, topics, and placement on the agenda
- Board member comments as a communication tool to the APS administration
- Importance of board members, presenters and public participants to show proper decorum as a role model to students and the community
- Recognition criteria and timing
- Rules and best practice of using email for board members
- Recommendation that each board member should handle the issues that are in their own district with the understanding that some issues are systemic
- Board agenda special issues need more time to delve into important issues
- Board members need the educational opportunities provided by APS administration presentations to make educated decisions
- Board members education and training opportunities
- Topics for board member training
- Importance of a variety of students participating in presentations to the board
- Recommendation that Superintendent’s report remain in its current position on the agenda
- Processing information inquiries from board members and responses from administration
Brenda Yager, executive director of board services requested clarification on board recommendations for changes to the board meeting process. She reminded board members that the Section B of the board policies and procedural directives will be reviewed for revisions in the near future, which includes all of the issues previously discussed in this meeting. Mr. Esquivel stated that the following should be implemented going forward:
- Recommendation for board comments at the end of the agenda
- Streamlining recognition
- Superintendent report remains where it is currently on the agenda
- Committee structure and scheduling remains the same
Mr. Brooks supported the request for board member training and recommended Joe Guillan, New Mexico School Boards Association, and Art Melendres, Modrall.
The meeting adjourned at 6:40 p.m.
Martin Esquivel, President
Steven Michael Quezada, Secretary