You are here: Home About Us Board of Education Board Meetings Board of Education Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting - Jun 12, 2013

Note: This board meeting occurred in the past. Browse for upcoming board meetings.

Board of Education Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting - Jun 12, 2013

Meeting Date & Time: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 5:00 PM
Where: DeLayo Martin Community Room Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE
Minutes: Minutes
Agenda Packet: Packet
Meeting Posted On: 05/24/2013, 6:12 PM
Agenda Posted On: 06/07/2013, 5:27 PM
Add event to your calendar: vCal
iCal

Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting

AGENDA

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

5:00 PM

DeLayo-Martin Community Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE

Albuquerque, New Mexico

I.

Call to Order
REVISED AGENDA: Note addition of sub item A. to agenda item IV.

A.

Adoption of the Policy Agenda and Approval of the Minutes of June 12, 2013, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting (Discussion/Action)

II.

Consideration for Approval of Charter School Performance Contracts (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Eddie Soto, Mark Tolley

A.

Albuquerque Talent Development Academy

I.

Public Forum

B.

Corrales International

I.

Public Forum

C.

El Camino Real Academy

I.

Public Forum

D.

Gordon Bernell

I.

Public Forum

III.

Update on eCADEMY @ Albuquerque Public Schools Virtual High School (Discussion)
Presenter: Shelly Green, Eddie Soto, Dave Wells

IV.

APS/CNM High School Update (Discussion)
Presenter: Shelly Green, Eddie Soto, Elizabeth Abeyta

A.

Consideration for Approval of Naming the New APS/CNM High School: College and Career High School (Discussion/Action)

V.

International Baccalaureate Program at Sandia High School Update (Discussion)
Presenter: Shelly Green, Eddie Soto, Katy Harvey

VI.

Discussion of Title I Parent Engagement Plan and Procedural Directive (Discussion)
Presenter: Shelly Green, Laurie Everhart, Carrie Robin Menapace

VII.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to IH1 - Treatment of Religious Issues (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Carrie Robin Menapace

VIII.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to I.11 Special Education to be renamed II. Special Education (Discussion/Action)

IX.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to I.07 - Student Travel:  Field and Activity Trips to be renamed IJ1 Student Travel:  Field and Activity Trips (Discussion/Action)

X.

Future Items (Discussion)

XI.

Announcement of the Next Policy Meeting - the next meeting will be held Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 5:00 p.m., in the DeLayo-Martin Community Room.

XII.

Adjournment

Minutes of Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting

June 12, 2013

The Board of Education

Albuquerque Public Schools

A Policy and Instruction Committee meeting of the Board of Education of Albuquerque Public Schools was held Wednesday, June 12, 2013, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the DeLayo Martin Community Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE.

Present:  Dr. Don Duran, Lorenzo Garcia, Kathy Korte, Dr. Analee Maestas, Dr. David Peercy.

Absent:  Martin Esquivel, Steven Michael Quezada

I.

Call to Order –  the meeting was called to order at 5:02 p.m.

A.

Adoption of the Policy Agenda and Approval of the Minutes of May 8, 2013, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting – Kathy Korte motioned for approval of the agenda and minutes of May 8, 2013.  Analee Maestas seconded the motion.  All indicated their approval.

II.

Consideration for Approval of Charter School Performance Contracts – Mr. Mark Tolley presented on the four charter school performance contracts.  The Albuquerque Public Schools administration recommended approval of the charter school performance contracts for Albuquerque Talent Development Academy, Corrales International, El Camino Real Academy and Gordon Bernell.  The contracts are for a period of five years and become the essential document in determining renewal for the charter school.  These contracts have been negotiated and approved by the administrations and governance councils of each of the schools.  The performance framework also was included with the contract as a support document.  In addition to the required academic, financial, and organizational performance indicators the schools have set school-specific academic indicators.  The framework is reviewed quarterly and renegotiated every year between the schools and the Albuquerque Public Schools Charter/Magnet School Department.  Mr. Tolley said each had minor revisions around language and renewal of building information; and the target goals were different in the framework.  He said rather than going over each individual contract, (the committee had received the contracts to review prior to the meeting) he would take questions from the committee.  Discussion and questions followed:

Dr. Duran thought the waiver language should be cleaned up.

Dr. Peercy had questions pertaining to the goals and the development of policies contained in the framework.  Mr. Tolley said the schools listed their specific goals which would be evaluated constantly.  In regard to the policies – there were policies that they had to have or develop on their own.  Dr. Duran asked that the charters become part of the New Mexico School Boards Association.  Ms. Korte said it was a good plan (referring to the contracts) that provided solid information and looking at it year to year helped.  She applauded Mark Tolley’s efforts.

A.

Albuquerque Talent Development Academy – Dr. Peercy referred to what may be contradictory in the waivers/grades part of the document.  Mr. Tolley gave the correct language.  Kathy Korte motioned for approval of the contract for Albuquerque Talent Development.  Lorenzo Garcia seconded the motion.  All were in favor.

I.

Public Forum - none

B.

Corrales International – Discussion in regard to the request for added grades and a waiver followed.  Kathy Korte motioned for approval of the contract for Corrales International.  Lorenzo Garcia seconded the motion.  All were in favor.

I.

Public Forum- none

C.

El Camino Real Academy – Dr. Peercy asked for comments/questions. Kathy Korte applauded the efforts of the principal, Paym Greene, to get involved in the New Mexico School Boards Association.  Ms. Greene thanked Mr. Tolley, saying he was extremely helpful in working with the contracts.  She also thanked the board saying she appreciated the challenges they provided.  Mr. Garcia and Dr. Maestas thanked her and her staff for their accomplishments.  Kathy Korte motioned for approval of the contract for El Camino Real Academy.  Analee Maestas seconded the motion.  All were in favor.

I.

Public Forum - none

D.

Gordon Bernell – Analee Maestas motioned for approval of the contract for Gordon Bernell Charter School.  Kathy Korte seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Dr. Peercy said it was a great service the school was providing and the fact that we were doing it was incredible.  Some questions and discussion followed in regard to the goals and graduation ceremonies.  Ms. Korte asked about the number of graduates. Mr. Tolley said one graduation ceremony was held downtown and another at the Metropolitan Detention Center (MDC).  There were nine graduates at the MDC and 12-15 graduates at the traditional ceremony.  Mr. Garcia thanked the school for its exemplary efforts; he also thanked Mr.  Romero who works with Mr. Tolley.  He applauded the teachers and their effort and said he was proud to be part of it.

I.

Public Forum - none

III.

Update on eCADEMY @ Albuquerque Public Schools Virtual High School – Ms. Shelly Green, chief academic officer, introduced Mr. Dave Wells, principal of the school.  Mr. Wells said they were currently doing the summer school program but felt beginning in July it would start moving quickly.  Questions from the committee were presented:  Highly qualified teachers?  Location? Maximum enrollment?  Random lottery?  Number of applicants?  Mr. Wells explain the enrollment (students counted by “seat” not by student.  He said every two weeks an assessment would administered.  There would be required campus time based on the student’s performance.  If at 70 percent or below, they must come to the campus for a time.  If at 70 percent or better, they would get to participate from home.  Labs are required attendance.  Dr.  Maestas asked how the blended model worked in regard to not being self-paced. Mr. Wells said distance education did not require teacher and student to ever meet.  eCADEMY does require it.  Self-paced means the course is open for 18 weeks which they can do at their own pace.  Teachers have discussion boards – so it’s advantageous for the students to do the work as they go.  Discussion followed in regard to how many credits are accumulated during a trimester.

IV.

APS/CNM High School Update (Discussion) – Shelly introduced the new principal of the school, Elizabeth Abeyta, and also Karen Krall who will be dean of students.  Ms. Abeyta thanked all who had been working with them to make sure the school was off to a good start, especially the budget and RDA departments.  She said they were currently working on the website and the calendar, which would mirror CNM’s calendar and would require APS Board approval.  The application to attend the school was already up on the website.  They would be doing a couple of student orientations and would soon be working on hiring teachers and a secretary. They would be taking tenth, eleventh and twelfth graders. The goal of the school is for students to earn a certificate or associates degree.  The grant application to the state would be ready and turned in for funding.    The board members presented questions in regard to transportation and demographics.  Monica gave an update on the outreach that was being done to advertise the school.  Discussion and questions followed.

A.

Consideration for Approval of Naming the New APS/CNM High School: College and Career High School– Dr. Peercy asked for information on the name.  Joseph Escobedo asked that they formally approve the name: College and Career High School.  Dr. Peercy reiterated that the official name was as suggested and the use of the logo was as they chose.  Kathy Korte motioned for approval.  Don Duran seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Dr. Duran suggested involving the students in regard to the logo and the colors.

V.

International Baccalaureate Program at Sandia High School – Katy Harvey, principal of Sandia High School, said they had received the official letter of approval.  They currently have 22 students who have applied.  She went over the marketing strategies; spoke about the IB trained Sandia High School faculty and the subjects they were to teach.  They would be installing two large medallion IB signs on the outside of the high school.  Board members asked if they could do anything to help with the student count (enrollment).  Ms. Harvey said she thought the students were worried after hearing about the rigor of the school at the parent forums and did not apply.  Mr. Brooks said they would reevaluate at the end of the first and second years.  As a superintendent in Kansas, he had an IB school which started out with 18 students but did expand after the first couple of years and after the word got out.   The board asked to be informed of the ethnic breakdown of students enrolling; also the ethnic breakdown of teachers.  Questions and discussion followed.

VI.

Discussion of Title I Parent Engagement Plan and Procedural Directive - Ms. Menapace began by saying every year they are required to update the parent engagement plan.  Dr. Peercy said this was very specific to Title I.  Laurie Everhart, director of Title I, then went over the policy which was required by law.  The families who participated in the annual review of the policy requested that the title of the document be changed to read “Family Engagement” rather than “Parent Involvement.”  The APS Title I Department, also at the request of parents, has created a “parent-friendly” version entitled “Title I 2013-2014 District Family Engagement Support Agreement,” which is distributed to all Title I families, while the process and procedural directive will be maintained in hard copy form at each school as well as electronically on the district and schools’ websites.  After the board members had a chance to review and discuss the plan and procedural directive it was to be translated.  Discussion followed regarding the changes.  Dr. Duran asked if this was included in the school handbooks. Ms. Everhart said it would be sent out to the schools with the translation as soon as possible although some schools already had their handbooks printed.

VII.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to IH1 - Treatment of Religious Issues –Ms. Menapace presented.  This item had been forwarded from a previous meeting.  Revisions to this policy updated language as part of the reorganization process; and after discussion with the board, recommendations to allow students to not be penalized for religious absences have been removed.  Lorenzo Garcia motioned for approval of the revisions.  Dr. Don Duran seconded the motion.  All indicted their approval with the exception of Kathy Korte who opposed.  Motion carried.

VIII.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to I.11 Special Education to be renamed II. Special Education – Ms. Menapace said none of the language had been changed; renaming of the policy was necessary for organizational purposes.  Kathy Korte motioned for approval.  Lorenzo Garcia seconded the motion.  All were in favor.

IX.

Consideration for Approval of revisions to I.07 - Student Travel:  Field and Activity Trips to be renamed IJ1 Student Travel:  Field and Activity Trips – what was presented were revisions updating the policy to current practice in APS.  It required that any trip be directly correlated to the instructional program of the district.  Due to board concerns, definitions had been clarified to include provisions for extra and co-curricular activities.  After questions from the board and a lengthy discussion on what should be included in the policy, it was decided that this item would be tabled and brought back in July.  Ms. Korte requested that the Internal Audit Department be part of conversation.  Dr. Peercy suggested the revisions be given to the committee in advance and posted on the website.  More discussion followed.  The item was tabled and will be brought back to the policy committee July 10, 2013.

X.

Future Items - none

XI.

Announcement of the Next Policy Meeting - the next meeting will be held Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 5:00 p.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.

XII.

Adjournment – the meeting was adjourned at 7:02 p.m.

Document Actions
News
Student of the Week Trinity Domonkos
A fifth grader at Dennis Chavez ES
Balloons to launch from APS playgrounds Friday
Albuquerque Aloft is the unofficial kick off to the Balloon Fiesta.
Revised 2017-18 calendar goes to board for approval
The first draft of the calendar was altered slightly after the public called for a later start date.
APS, Kennedy Center partnership will lead to more arts ed
District, city, Washington's Kennedy Center to plan for arts opportunities
Believe you can and will
Supt. Reedy takes part in Del Norte High's Finish in Four commitment ceremony in which freshmen sign pledges to graduate with their classmates.