You are here: Home About Us Board of Education Board Meetings Board of Education Meeting - Apr 4, 2012

Note: This board meeting occurred in the past. Browse for upcoming board meetings.

Board of Education Meeting - Apr 4, 2012

Meeting Date & Time: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 5:00 PM
Where: John Milne Community Board Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE
Minutes: Minutes
Agenda Packet: Packet
Meeting Posted On: 03/22/2012, 11:02 AM
Agenda Posted On: 04/03/2012, 4:47 PM
Meeting Video View video
Add event to your calendar: vCal
iCal

Board of Education Meeting

AGENDA

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

5:00 PM

John Milne Community Board Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE

Albuquerque, New Mexico

I.

Call to Order

A.

Color Guard Presentation by Atrisco Heritage Academy High School Marines

I.

Pledge of Allegiance / Moment of Silence

B.

Roll Call

C.

Adoption of the April 4, 2012, Board of Education Meeting Agenda and Approval of the March 21, 2012, Board of Education Meeting Minutes (Discussion/Action)

II.

Recognition of Students, Staff and Community

A.

Celebrating Student Success

I.

Student performance by Del Norte High School jazz students Jacob Florez, James Garcia, Cassidy Holland and Elder Sanchez under the direction of teacher Douglas Doerfert

II.

Seven-Bar student heroes Randy Rivera, third grade, and Matthew Martinez, fifth grade, and Rhonda Carlsen and Julie Green, Seven-Bar parents, for their quick thinking and action to stop a school bus from rolling into traffic

III.

APS New Mexico state swimming champions:

a.

Valley High School sophomore Dorian Holler, state champion and All-American in the boys’ 200 IM (individual medley category), and record-breaking in the 100 breast stroke category

b.

Albuquerque High School senior Madison Bridges for the girls’ 200 IM category and freshman Cassaundra Pino for the girls’ 100 butterfly category

c.

La Cueva High School sophomore Nika Fellows for the girls’ 200 freestyle category and junior Kristopher Tillery in the boys’ 100 freestyle category and the boys’ 100 backstroke category

d.

Eldorado High School seniors Henry Homans, Ian Walker, Greg Rempe, Karl Johannes in the 200 medley category, and juniors Tomas Babuska and Jonah Hanks in the boys’ 200 freestyle category. Walker, Hanks, Babuska and Homans also won in the 400 freestyle category

IV.

Early College Academy student Katherine Kelton for outstanding achievement in finishing an Associate of Arts degree in teacher education well in advance of graduating from ECA

B.

Celebrating Community Partnerships

I.

Junior Achievement of New Mexico, Inc., and Krista Martinez, president, for partnership with Albuquerque Public Schools district wide and supporting APS students and staff

II.

Lowell Elementary School, Youth Development, Inc. (YDI) and Lowes’ Home Improvement for their partnership grant supporting a community garden and beautification at the school

III.

Public Forum

IV.

Matters of Information

A.

Superintendent's Report

B.

Board Member Comments

C.

President's Report

V.

Special Issues

A.

Calculation of the New Mexico Cohort Graduation Rate (Discussion)
Presenter: Executive Director of Instructional Accountability Rose-Ann McKernan

B.

Consideration for Approval of APS Board of Education Redistricting Map (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Michael Sharp, Research & Polling, Inc.

C.

Consideration for Approval of Capital Outlay Funds Awarded during the 2012 Legislative Session (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Carrie Robin Menapace, Legislative Liaison and Policy Analyst

D.

Consideration for Approval of Revisions to APS Board or Education Policy K.06 Political Solicitations in Schools including Graduation Speeches (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Superintendent Winston Brooks, Chief of Staff Joseph Escobedo, and Legislative Liaison and Policy Analyst Carrie Robin Menapace

E.

Consideration for approval of Gifts, Grants and Donations of More than $5,000 (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Joseph Escobedo, Chief of Staff

I.

Marquee for Petroglyph Elementary School

VI.

Approval of Consent Calendar Items (Discussion/Action)

A.

Consideration for Approval of Policy and Instruction Matters (Discussion/Action)

I.

Approval of Seven New Mexico High School Competency Waivers

II.

Approval of the 2012-13 Student Behavior Handbook Based on Revisions Suggested at the March 28, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting

III.

Approval of the 2011-2012 Quality of Education Survey Based on Revisions Suggested at the March 28, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting

VII.

Announcement of Upcoming Board Meetings

A.

The next Special Board meeting will be held on Friday, April 27, 2012, at 7:30 a.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room.

B.

The next Board of Education meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 18, 2012, at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board Room.

VIII.

Adjournment

Minutes of Board of Education Meeting
Albuquerque Public Schools
A meeting of the Board of Education of Albuquerque Public Schools was held Wednesday.
April 4. 2012. beginning at 5:00 p.m.. in the John Milne Community Board Room. Alice and Bruce King
Educational Complex. 6400 Uptown Blvd. NE.
I. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.
A. Color Guard Presentation by Atrisco Heritage Academy High School Marines
I. Pledge of Allegiance / Moment of Silence
B. Roll Call
Present: Analee Maestas. Kathy Korte. Lorenzo Garcia. Martin Esquivel. Paula Maes. David
Peercy. David Robbins
C. Adoption of the April 4, 2012, Board of Education Meeting Agenda and Approval of
the March 21,2012, Board of Education Meeting Minutes (Discussion/Action)
David Peercy motioned for adoption of the agenda and approval of the minutes. Lorenzo
Garcia seconded the motion. Board members unanimously adopted the April 4. 20 J 2. Board of
Education meeting agenda and approved the March 2 I. 20 I 2. Board of Education meeting minutes.
II. Recognition of Students, Staff and Community
A. Celebrating Student Success
I. Del Norte High School jazz students Jacob Florez. James Garcia. Cassidy
Holland and Elder Sanchez under the direction of teacher Douglas Doerfert were recognized for their
performance at the board meeting.
II. Seven-Bar student heroes Randy Rivera. third grade. and Matthew Martinez.
fifth grade. and Rhonda Carlsen and Julie Green. Seven-Bar parents. were recognized for their quick
thinking and action to stop a school bus from rolling into traffic.
III. APS New Mexico state swimming champions:
a. Valley High School sophomore Dorian Holler. was recognized as state
champion and All-American in the boys' 200 1M (individual medley category). and for record-breaking
in the I 00 breast stroke category.
b. Albuquerque High School senior Madison Bridges was recognized for
the girls' 200 1M category and freshman Cassaundra Pino was recognized for the girls' 100 butterfly
category.
c. La Cueva High School sophomore Nika Fellows was recognized for
the girls' 200 freestyle category and junior Kristopher Tillery was recognized for the boys' 100 freestyle
category and the boys' 100 backstroke category
d. Eldorado High School seniors Henry Homans. Ian Walker. Greg
Rempe. and Karl Johannes were recognized in the 200 medley category and juniors Tomas Babuska
and Jonah Hanks were recognized in the boys' 200 freestyle category. Walker. Hanks. Babuska and
Homans were also recognized for winning in the 400 freestyle category.
IV. Early College Academy student Katherine Kelton was recognized for
outstanding achievement in finishing an Associate of Arts degree in teacher education well in advance
of graduating from ECA.
B. Celebrating Community Partnerships
I. Junior Achievement of New Mexico. Inc.. and Krista Martinez. president, was
recognized for partnership with Albuquerque Public Schools district wide and supporting APS students
and staff.
II. Lowell Elementary School. Youth Development, Inc. (YDI) and Lowes' Home
Improvement were recognized for their partnership grant supporting a community garden and
Page J of 5
beautification at the school.
III. Public Forum
Topics of public forum included support for victims of bullying incidents and requests for
changes in policies regarding bullying.
IV. Matters of Information
A. Superintendent's Report
Superintendent Brooks reported on the following:
• Contributions of RoseAnn McKernan and her team, especially Christoph Brunder, for assisting
schools in running the examinations smoothly
• APS Education Foundation's Selfless Seniors program
• Support from the city of Albuquerque for the International Baccalaureate program at Sandia
High School to help students with testing fees
• Stadium ground breaking on the west side of Albuquerque next week
B. Board Member Comments
Board members commented on the following:
• Concern for dangerous interaction of students with bullies
• Support for working with the students, parents, school staff and administration to find
improvements in dealing with bullying situations
• Support for achieving safe school environments
• Recommend that school administrators keep a closer watch on school premises to support no tolerance
presence of bullying
• Concern for vocational and technical education efforts and strategies for the next five to 10
years
• Support for schools participating in the Math Counts competitions and volunteer coaches from
Sandia Labs for students
• Seven percent of students who don't feel safe at school. represents 6.300 students at APS
• Importance of addressing and deciding on redistricting map
• Support for recruiting students from the whole district to participate in the Sandia High School
International Baccalaureate program
• Support legislators to communicate directly to students, with the request that speeches, such
as those at graduations, honor students
C. President's Report
President Maes reported on the following:
• Support for more interactions with educators from other global communities
V. Special Issues
A. Calculation of the New Mexico Cohort Graduation Rate (Discussion)
Executive Director of Instructional Accountability Rose-Ann McKernan explained that
every year the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) calculates the four-year and five-year
graduates district and school cohort graduation rates for New Mexico, and due to guidance from
the United States Department of Education, the NMPED will be required to change the calculation of
cohort graduation rate for the class of 20 I I.
Currently, New Mexico uses a system of shared accountability by distributing portions
of students across every school in which the student was enrolled. Modified cohorts are established
from first-time ninth graders to which transfers are added. Students in the cohort are reported to
NMPED four times each year. Therefore, if a student enters one APS school as a freshman and stays all
Page 2 of 5
four years, that student will count 16 times in the calculation. If the student only attended the APS
school for two years, that student would only count eight times in the calculation. This, including
other variables, will change in the calculation for the class of 20 I J.
Changes in the cohort calculation include:
• Students who transfer into New Mexico schools after their first year of high school will now
count all 16 times in the calculation, not only for the amount of time they attended New
Mexico schools (or less than 16 times).
• Students who move into New Mexico as 9th-grade repeaters from another state will now
count as a first-time 9th graders. These students were never included in the four-year cohort
rate and are at high risk of dropping out.
• Special education students who access free appropriate public education (FAPE) to continue
beyond four years of high school will not be provided the additional years to be a four-year
"on-time" graduate. Previously. these students were removed from the calculation, but now
they will be counted as non-graduates.
• Pregnant students and incarcerated students will no longer be provided an additional year to
be counted as a four-year "on-time" graduate.
• Charter schools will now be included in the district cohort rate.
Board members discussed the following regarding this agenda item:
• Confirm that the charter schools counted in the APS calculation are the charter schools
chartered by APS
• Confirm that students who transfer out of the APS district are taken out of the cohort group, if
we can verify they moved to a school out of the APS district
• Importance of national standardized method of graduation rate calculation so accurate
comparisons can be made
• Request how students moving from a state-chartered school to APS are calculated
• Request for reasoning of why changes are being made
B. Consideration for Approval of APS Board of Education Redistricting Map
( Discussion/Action)
President Maes introduced Michael Sharp of Research & Polling, Inc.. and reminded
board members that the APS Board of Education approved redistricting Plan F-I on January 23, 2012.
Several members of the community and the board requested that the Board of Education revisit its
decision. On February 22, 20 12, the APS Board of Education decided to reconsider the map that was
initially approved on January 23 and consider additional options. Board members were to submit
suggestions based on additional community input and consideration, and then those suggested maps
were to be posted on the APS website. Maps I a, I b, 2a and 2b are the result of further suggestions by
board members and will be considered in the selection for one final map to be voted on by the Board
of Education.
Public forum comments regarding this agenda item included support for the process
and participation on the redistricting committee because everyone respectfully defended their version
of improving representation for all of the students in Albuquerque.
• Population on the west side of Albuquerque with the east of boundary of the Rio Grande
warrants 2.5 to 2.75 districts
• Proposed districts were reviewed for balance of minority voting districts and statistical
requirements
• Support for Map I a by David Peercy. Lorenzo Garcia, Marty Esquivel. Analee Maestas, and
Kathy Korte because it maintains the communities of interest and attempts to satisfy everyone's
Page 3 of 5
concerns
• Support for Map 2a or 2b by David Robbins because of the concern that maps are bisecting
communities of interest areas
• Gratitude was expressed to the community for contributing to the process
Kathy Korte motioned to approve Map J a. Analee Maestas seconded the motion. President
Maes requested a roll call vote on this agenda item. Results of the roll call vote approved Map I a as
the APS redistricting map with Analee Maestas, Kathy Korte, Lorenzo Garcia, Martin Esquivel, David
Peercy, and Paula Maes voting for the motion and David Robbins voting against the motion.
C. Consideration for Approval of Capital Outlay Funds Awarded during the 201 2
Legislative Session (Discussion/Action)
Carrie RobIn Menapace, legislative liaison and policy analyst explained that the 20 I 2
New Mexico Legislature awarded APS and some locally authorized charter schools capital
appropriations for construction, technology and other projects within schools. The NMPED requires
acceptance of the awards prior to disbursement of the funds.
Board members dIscussed the following regarding this agenda Item:
Confirm total amount of appropriations is 52.9 million
David Peercy motioned for approval of the awarded funds. Kathy Korte seconded the
motion.
Board members unanimously approved accepting the capital outlay funds awarded during the 20 I 2
Legislative Session.
D. Consideration for Approval of Revisions to APS Board of Education Policy K06 Political
Solicitations in Schools including Graduation Speeches (Discussion/Action)
Superintendent Winston Brooks explained that the current APS Board of Education
Policy K.06 Political Solicitations in Schools has a subsection for graduation that states, "Speeches by
elected officials, candidates for elective office and/or their representatives at graduation ceremonies
shall be subject to approval of the superintendent." He pointed out the six options to change the
policy based on recommendations from the Policy and Instruction Committee meeting, and he
recommended Version I.A. because of the delay required to decide at a formal board meeting who
can or cannot speak at school events.
Version I.A. IS as follows:
Graduation speeches by currently elected officials. candidates for elective office and/or
their representatives at graduation ceremonies shall be subject to approval of the superintendent after
consultation with the Board of Education officers.
• David Peercy and David Robbins supported Version 4 because they don't want any
appearance of favoritism toward elected officials'; speeches that will disrupt graduations,
especially since APS has tight time allocations for each graduation; and the speeches will take
away from the overall experience of graduation.
• Marty Esquivel, Lorenzo Garcia, and Analee Maestas supported Version I.A. as the change in
the language of the policy because some officials have earned the right to speak and it allows
the superintendent to use discretion in making the decision with input from board members.
Analee Maestas motioned for approval of Version I.A. Marty Esquivel seconded the
motion. Paula Maes requested a roll call vote for this agenda item. Results of the roll call vote
approved Version I.A. to revise the APS Board of Education Policy K.06 Political Solicitations in Schools
including Graduation Speeches with Analee Maestas, Lorenzo Garcia, Martin Esquivel, and Paula Maes
voting for the motion, and Kathy Korte, David Peercy, and DaVId Robbins voting against the motion.
Page 4 0fS
E. Consideration for approval of Gifts, Grants and Donations of More than $5,000
( Discussion/Action)
Joseph Escobedo, chief of staff, explained that the donation has been reviewed by all
of the departments necessary including Maintenance and Operations and Technology and Risk
Management and requested that board members approve the donation of the marquee for
Petroglyph Elementary School.
• Concern that the sign is more expensive and elaborate than other schools, which would put
the other schools at a disadvantage because their support groups can't afford a similar
donation
• Cost of the installing and wiring an LED marquee
Kathy Korte motioned for approval of the donation. Analee Maestas seconded the
motion. Board members unanimously approved the donated marquee for Petroglyph Elementary
School.
VI. Approval of Consent Calendar Items (Discussion/Action)
A. Consideration for Approval of Policy and Instruction Matters (Discussion/Action)
David Peercy motioned for approval of the consent calendar items VI.A.I., II. and III.
Lorenzo Garcia seconded the motion. Board members unanimously approved the Policy and
Instruction matters of the consent calendar.
/. Approval of Seven New Mexico High School Competency Waivers
I/, Approval of the 20 I 2-13 Student Behavior Handbook Based on RevIsions
Suggested at the March 28, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting
II/, Approval of the 20 I 1-20 12 Quality of Education Survey Based on Revisions
Suggested at the March 28, Policy and Instruction Committee Meeting
VII. Announcement of Upcoming Board Meetings
President Maes announced that the next Special Board meeting will be held on Friday. April
27, 20 I 2, at 7:30 a.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community room. and the next Board of Education
meeting will be held on Wednesday. April 18, 20 I 2, at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board
Room.
VIII. Adjoumment
The meeting ac!journed at 7:21 p.m.

Document Actions
News
Lockdown at Chamiza ES - Wednesday, August 20
We're Giving School Supplies to Families in Need Saturday
Thousands will get back-to-school basics thanks to our community!
APS Faces Bus Driver Shortage
We're working with contractors & the state to resolve issue
Board Hopes to Name Interim Supt This Week
Goal is to have someone in place by Friday
Fondue-Raiser at the Melting Pot
Aug. 26-27 celebrating back to school and teacher appreciation