You are here: Home About Us Board of Education Board Meetings Board of Education Meeting - Mar 21, 2012

Note: This board meeting occurred in the past. Browse for upcoming board meetings.

Board of Education Meeting - Mar 21, 2012

Meeting Date & Time: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 5:00 PM
Where: John Milne Community Board Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE
Minutes: Minutes
Agenda Packet: Packet
Meeting Posted On: 01/22/2012, 5:25 PM
Agenda Posted On: 03/20/2012, 4:23 PM
Meeting Video View video
Add event to your calendar: vCal
iCal

Board of Education Meeting

AGENDA

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

5:00 PM

John Milne Community Board Room, Alice and Bruce King Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE

Albuquerque, New Mexico

I.

Call to Order

A.

Pledge of Allegiance / Moment of Silence

B.

Roll Call

C.

Adoption of the March 21, 2012, Board of Education Meeting Agenda and Approval of the March 7, 2012, Board of Education Meeting Minutes (Discussion/Action)

II.

Recognition of Students, Staff and Community

A.

Celebrating Student, Staff and School Success

I.

Video tribute to Truman Middle School students for academic excellence, presented with Principal Judy Martin

II.

Taft Middle School students Brayain Cisneros, Vanessa Garcia, Andres Gonzales, Estevan Lucero, Jose Maestas, Christopher Marquez and Larissa Pollaro for their Give Just 1 Service Learning project with teacher Kate West

III.

Atrisco Heritage Academy High School junior Ismael Chavez for becoming his school’s first-ever state wrestling champion

IV.

La Cueva High School band students Hailey Buster and Christopher Harms for their selection for and performance in the United States Army All-American Marching Band

V.

La Cueva High School biology students Ashley Chapman, Kat Dai, Amanda Hart, Ian Horne, Wesley Hutchins, Shaleena Maji, Alex Mills, Josh Minster, Helen Nordquist, Alona Obshtyr, Gaby Opperman, Lilla Orban, Christian Pattyn, Sadegh Salehpoor, Patrick Scharrer, Eric Small, Oivia Smith, Hamza Syed, Andrew Wilcox, Fabian Wildenstein, Brian Wisler and teacher Jason DeWitte for rendering life-saving assistance

VI.

nex+Gen Academy High School and Dekker/Perich/Sabatini for the 2011 grand prize in design innovation and excellence by Learning by Design. Team members from APS are Principal Michael Stanton, Karin Alarid, director for Facilities, Design and Construction, and Richard Miller, staff engineer; team members from Dekker/Perich/Sabatini are Dale R. Dekker, Benjamin H. Gardner  III, Sanjay S. Kadu, and Adrienne Lewis

III.

Public Forum

IV.

Matters of Information

A.

Superintendent's Report

B.

Board Member Comments

C.

President's Report

V.

Special Issues

A.

Common Core State Standards Update (Discussion)
Presenter: Linda Sink, Chief Academic Officer

B.

Attendance at the National Institute of School Boards in Santa Fe, July 27-30 (Discussion)
Presenter: Winston Brooks, Superintendent

C.

Consideration for Approval of the Letter to be sent out on behalf of the Board of Education and Superintendent Inviting APS Teachers Achieving National Board Certification to be recognized at the May 2, 2012, Board of Education meeting (Discussion/Action)
Presenter: Brenda Yager, Board Services Executive Director

D.

Consideration for Approval of Name Correction for nex+Gen Academy  (Discussion/Action)

E.

Consideration of Approval of Open Meetings Act Resolution 2012-2013 (Discussion/Action)

VI.

Approval of Consent Calendar Items (Discussion/Action)

A.

Consideration for Approval of Finance Matters (Discussion/Action)

I.

Approval of Budget Adjustments for Grant Management

a.

IDEA-B, $8,470,876

b.

Title I, $5,316,416

c.

GOB Instructional Materials, $209,775

d.

Title IIA, $1,205,359

e.

Title III, $200,301

f.

Carl Perkins-Redistribution, $151,445

g.

IDEA B-Preschool, $137,491

h.

Title VIII Impact Aid-Special Education, $42,120

i.

Title I School Improvement, $25,675

j.

Carl Perkins-High Schools That Work, $20,447

k.

ROTC, $12,000

l.

Jobs for America's Graduates-JAG, $10,752

m.

IDEA-B Private School, $10,172

n.

Carl Perkins-High Schools That Work, $8,882

o.

Title VIII Impact Aid-Indian Education, $7,914

p.

Title I-McKinney Homeless, $716

q.

School Improvement Grant-El Camino Real Academy, ($122,144)

II.

Approval of Budget Increase-New Grants

a.

Target School Award-Georgia O'Keeffe Elementary, $100,000

III.

Approval of Grant Management Cash Transfer

IV.

Approval of Grant Management Intra-Function Transfers

V.

Approval of Grant Management Inter-Function Transfers

VI.

Approval of Budget Adjustment Request for School Bus Rental Fee

a.

Sanchez Southwest, Ltd.

b.

Sena School Bus Co.

VII.

Approval of Supplement to School Bus Fleet Service Contract

a.

Sanchez Southwest Bus Co.

b.

Sena School Bus Co.

VIII.

Approval of Budget Adjustment Increase for 2011-2012 Student Transportation Service Final Allocation

IX.

Approval of Moving Services and Supplies on Demand Bid #12-037RR-MC

X.

Approval of Specialized Moving Services on Demand Bid #12-038RR-SL

XI.

Approval of Early Childhood Furniture on Demand Bid #12-044PS-SL

XII.

Approval of Music Furniture on Demand Bid #12-048PS-SL

XIII.

Approval of Operational Fund Inter-Function Transfers for February

XIV.

Approval of Operational Fund Intra-Function Transfers for February

XV.

Approval of Cash Disbursements for February 2012

XVI.

Approval of Budget Increase for Career Academic & Technical Academy (CATA)

a.

Cash Carryover-Operational Fund, $44,067

XVII.

Approval of Budget Adjustment Request for Career Academic & Technical Academy (CATA)

a.

Transfers have a net effect of zero in the overall budget

XVIII.

Approval of Statement of Equipment Taken out of Service February 1-29, 2012

XIX.

Approval of Budget Adjustment-State SB-9 Match

XX.

Approval of Removal of Lost Unrecoverable Asset

a.

Madison Middle School-HP Notebook ID #64332 (Barcode #624198)

XXI.

Approval of Budget Adjustment Request

a.

Instructional Materials Fund 14000, ($209,775)

VII.

Announcement of Upcoming Board Meetings

A.

The next Special Board meeting will be held on Friday, April 13, 2012, at 7:30 a.m., in the DeLayo-Martin Community Room.

B.

The next Board of Education Meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 4, 2012, at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board Room.

VIII.

Adjournment

Minutes of Board of Education Meeting
The Board of Education
Albuquerque Public Schools
A meeting of the Board of Education of Albuquerque Public Schools was held Wednesday, March
21, 20 I 2, beginning at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board Room, Alice and Bruce King
Educational Complex, 6400 Uptown NE.
I. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 5:03 p.m.
A. Pledge of Allegiance / Moment of Silence
B. Roll Call
Present: Analee Maestas, Kathy Korte, Lorenzo Garcia, David Robbins and David Peercy
Absent: Paula Maes and Marty Esquivel
C. Adoption of the March 2 J, 20 J 2, Board of Education Meeting Agenda and Approval of the
March 7, 20 J 2, Board of Education Meeting Minutes (Discussion/Action)
Kathy Korte motioned for adoption of the agenda and approval of the minutes. David
Robbins seconded the motion. Board members unanimously agreed to adopt the March 2 I, 20 I 2, Board of
Education meeting agenda and approved of the March 7, 20 I 2, Board of Education meeting minutes.
II. Recognition of Students, Staff and Community
A. Celebrating Student, Staff and School Success
I. Principal Judy Martin and Truman Middle School were recognized for students for
academic excellence.
II. Taft Middle School students Brayain Cisneros, Vanessa Garcia, Andres Gonzales,
Estevan Lucero, Jose Maestas, Christopher Marquez and Larissa Pollaro were recognized for their Give Just I
Service Learning project with teacher Kate West.
III. Atrisco Heritage Academy High Schooljunior Ismael Chavez was recognized for
becoming his school's first-ever state wrestling champion
IV La Cueva High School band students Hailey Buster and Christopher Harms were
recognized for their selection for and performance in the United States Army All-American Marching Band.
V La Cueva High School biology students Ashley Chapman, Kat Dai, Amanda Hart. Ian
Horne, Wesley Hutchins, Shaleena Maji, Alex Mills, Josh Minster, Helen Nordquist. Alona Obshtyr, Gaby
Opperman, Lilla Orban, Christian Pattyn, Sadegh Saleh poor, Patrick Scharrer, Eric Small, Oivia Smith, Hamza
Syed, Andrew Wilcox, Fabian Wildenstein, Brian Wisler and teacher Jason DeWitte were recognized for
rendering life-saving assistance.
VI. nex+Gen Academy High School and Dekker/Perich/Sabatini, including Principal
Michael Stanton, Karin Alarid, director for Facilities, Design and Construction, and Richard Miller, staff
engineer, team members from APS and Dale R. Dekker, Benjamin H. Gardner III, Sanjay S. Kadu, and
Adrienne Lewis team members from Dekker/Perich/Sabatini were recognized for the 20 I I grand prize in
design innovation and excellence by Learning by Design.
VII. Eldorado High School students Nicholas Childress and Monica Goodman were
recognized as National Merit Scholar Finalists.
III.
IV
Public Forum
Topics of public forum included concern for placement of students in school programs.
d
Matters of Information - ' A. Superintendent's Report
Page J of4
Superintendent Brooks reported on the following:
• Participation in USA Today Unite to Make a Difference Education Forum bringing together national
media experts, educators, corporate partners, and school board members to discuss improving
education
• Meeting with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Assistant Secretary Michael Yudin, and other
meetings on Capitol Hill with staff from Senator Bingaman's office and Congressman Heinrich's office
• APS students participating in the New Mexico Standards Based Assessments (SBA)
• Upcoming review of the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
B. Board Member Comments
Board members shared the following comments:
• Support for the upcoming State Math Counts State competition
• Support for nex+Gen Academy awards and looking forward to their academic achievement results
• 2013 Council of Great City Schools 20 I 2 conference will include 20 13 planning and presentation
• Gratitude for administration participating in talks with school communities about capital progress
• Support for review of SHAC and how grant money is spent to achieve district goals
• Recommendation that the board provide guidance to SHAC
• Concern for needs of refurbishing and maintenance of old schools
• Concern for schools' progress and what needs to be achieved
• Support for the New Mexico School Boards Association Regional IV meeting to showcase nex+Gen
Academy
C. President's Report
Vice-president Analee Maestas reminded board members to prepare for the redistricting
decision at the April 4, Board of Education meeting and she commended the parents, teachers and staff
members working hard to motivate students to perform well on the SBA testing.
V. Special Issues
A. Common Core State Standards Update (Discussion)
Chief Academic Officer Linda Sink reviewed the district's progress toward implementing the
Common Core State Standards. Specifically, she reviewed the professional development over the next two
months, continued collaboration with the university level to get new teachers ready, the need to work with
elementary teachers because the curriculum is taught differently, upcoming workshops and academies to be
held this summer, and materials being produced on the national level in many languages to educate
parents about the common core state standards
Board members discussed the following regarding this issue:
• Training for new teachers
• Timeline of testing reflecting common core state standards
• Integration of early childhood education in the process
• Collaboration locally. statewide and nationally
• Alignment of District Based Assessments (DBA) with common core
• Changes will start a new baseline
• Evaluation of the success of professional development
• Recommend peers sharing best practices with new teachers
Page 2 of 4
B. Attendance at the National Institute of School Boards in Santa Fe, July 27-30 (Discussion)
Superintendent Brooks described the National Institute for School Boards to be held in
Santa Fe from July 27,3 p.m. to Monday, July 30, at noon and requested board members consider attending
the training sessions to explore effective governance roles, district redesign and the development of aligned
reform policies. Kathy Korte, David Peercy, Analee Maestas, David Robbins and Lorenzo Garcia expressed
interest in attending the training. Marty Esquivel and Paula Maes were not in attendance but would be
asked about participating.
C. Consideration for Approval of the Letter to be sent out on behalf of the Board of Education
and Superintendent Inviting APS Teachers Achieving National Board Certification to be recognized at the
May 2,2012, Board of Education meeting (Discussion/Action)
Board Services Executive Director Brenda Yager requested approval of the letter to be sent
to the APS teachers achieving national board certification to be recognized at the May 2, 20 I 2, Board of
Education meeting. David Peercy motioned for approval of the letter. Kathy Korte seconded the motion.
Board members unanimously approved the letter to be sent to the teachers.
D. Consideration for Approval of Name Correction for nex+Gen Academy (Discussion/Action)
Board Services Executive Director Brenda Yager explained the need to correct the name of
the school to match the trademark approved by the New Mexico Secretary of State on September 22, 2009.
David Peercy motioned for approval of the name change. David Robbins seconded the motion. Board
members unanimously approved nex+Gen Academy as the name of the school.
E. Consideration of Approval of Open Meetings Act Resolution 2012-2013
( Discussion/Action)
Board Services Executive Director Brenda Yager explained the need to update and
approve the Open Meetings Act Resolution. David Peercy motioned for approval of the resolution. David
Robbins seconded the motion. Board members unanimously approved the 20 I 2-20 13 Open Meetings Act
Resolution.
VI. Approval of Consent Calendar Items (Discussion/Action)
Kathy Korte motioned to approve agenda items VI. A. I.-XXI. David Robbins seconded the motion.
Board members unanimously approved all of the Finance matters of the consent calendar.
A. Consideration for Approval of Finance Matters (Discussion/Action)
I Approval of Budget Adjustments for Grant Management
a IDEA-B $8,47Q876
b. Title I, $5,3 16,4 16
c. GOB Instructional Materials, $209,775
d Title I/A, $ 1,205,359
e. Title III, $20Q30 I
f Carl Perkins-Redistribution, $ 151,445
9 IDEA B-Preschool, $ 137, 49 I
h. Title VIII Impact Aid-Special Education, $42 120
I. Title I School Improvement, $25,675
j Carl Perkins-High Schools That Work; $2Q 447
k ROTC $ 12000
I. .Jobs for America's Graduates-.JAG, $ IQ752
m. IDEA-8 Private School, $ I Q 172
n. Carl Perkins-High Schools That Work; $8,882
0. Title VIII Impact Aid-Indian Education, $7, 9 I 4
Page 3 of 4
p. Title I-McKinney Homeless, $716
q. School Improvement Grant-EI Camino Real Academy ($ 122, 144)
II Approval of Budget Increase-New Grants
a. Target School A ward-Georgia 0 'Keeffe Elementary, $ 100, 000
III Approval of Grant Management Cash Transfer
IV Approval of Grant Management Intra-Function Transfers
V Approval of Grant Management Inter-Function Transfers
Vt' Approval of Budget Adjustment Request for School Bus Rental Fee
a. Sanchez Southwest, Ltd
b. Sena School Bus Co.
VII Approval of Supplement to School Bus Fleet Service Contract
a. Sanchez Southwest Bus Co.
b. Sena School Bus Co.
VIII Approval of Budget Adjustment Increase for 20 I 1-20 12 Student Transportation Service
Final Allocation
IX Approval of Moving Services and Supplies on Demand Bid # 12-037RR-MC
X Approval of Specialized Moving Services on Demand Bid # 12-038RR-SL
XI Approval of Early Childhood Furniture on Demand Bid # 12-044PS-SL
XII Approval of Music Furniture on Demand Bid # 12-048PS-SL
XIII Approval of Operational Fund Inter-Function Transfers for February
XIV Approval of Operational Fund Intra-Function Transfers for February
XV Approval of Cash Disbursements for February 20 12
XVt' Approval of Budget Increase for Career Academic & Technical Academy (CA TA)
a. Cash Carryover-Operational Fund, $44,067
XVII Approval of Budget Adjustment Request for Career Academic & Technical Academy
(CATA)
a. Transfers have a net effect of zero in the overall budget
XVIII Approval of Statement of Equipment Taken out of Service February 1-29, 20 12
XIX Approval of Budget Adjustment-State SB-9 Match
XX Approval of Removal of Lost Unrecoverable Asset
a. Madison Middle School-HP Notebook ID #64332 (Barcode #624 198)
XXI Approval of Budget A djustment Request
a. Instructional Materials Fund 14000, ($209,775)
VII. Announcement of Upcoming Board Meetings
Vice President Analee Maestas announced that the next Special Board meeting will be held on
Friday, April 13,2012, at 7:30 a.m., in the DeLayo Martin Community Room and the next Board of Education
meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 4, 20 I 2, at 5:00 p.m., in the John Milne Community Board Room.
VIII. Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

Page 4 of 4

Document Actions
News
Happy Thanksgiving!
Schools closed Nov. 26-28; administrative offices closed Nov. 27-28.
This Holiday Season, Don't Forget Our Neediest Kids
The APS Community Clothing Bank is taking monetary donations as well as new socks, undergarments and shoes so students can have the basic essentials.
Remember the APS Foundation on #GivingTuesday
You’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Now there’s Giving Tuesday, a chance to help non-profits like the APS Education Foundation give back.
2015-2016 APS Calendar
The traditional and alternative calendars for next school year were approved by the Board of Education at its meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 19.
APS Hosts Job Fair to Recruit Special Education Teachers
Hiring fair set for 1-3 p.m., Dec. 2, at APS City Center